California-based Explorer Insurance Company provides auto insurance for high-risk drivers who may have difficulty securing insurance elsewhere.
In an effort to find the best auto insurance providers in the industry, we research companies across the United States. This article will review Explorer Insurance Company to see how its coverage, costs, claims and customer reviews stack up against the competition. Whether you decide to go with Explorer or not, we recommend getting quotes from multiple car insurance companies so you can compare coverage and rates. Follow the link below or call (844) 246-8209 to start.
In this article:
Explorer Insurance Company Overview
Explorer Insurance Company sells personal auto insurance products in California. The Santa Clarita-based provider also offers earthquake insurance and workers’ compensation insurance through parent company ICW Group.
|Solid financial position (A-AM Best rating)||Only available in California|
|Bilingual customer support||Bad customer reviews|
|Covers salvaged vehicles||Obsolete complaints filing process|
|Difficult to get a quote with fonts only
sold through independent brokers
Explorers Insurance Coverage
Because Explorer Insurance Company sells products through a network of independent agents and brokers, coverage is flexible. In most cases, you can get the following types of standard car insurance coverage:
- Bodily Injury Liability (BI): Covers injuries to other drivers and their passengers in crashes where you are at fault
- Collision coverage: Covers repairs to your vehicle after an accident, no matter who is at fault
- Full coverage: Covers costs associated with environmental damage to your vehicle or theft
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM): Covers repair costs when you are involved in an accident with a driver with little or no coverage
There is no mention of property damage liability or medical payment coverage on the Explorer Insurance Company website. However, Explorer highlights the following additional coverage types:
- Towing and rental reimbursement: Provides in-network towing up to 15 miles and $50 reimbursement for out-of-network towing
- Deductible exemption for window repair: No deductible for windshield repair
- Permissive driver: Covers the drivers you authorize to borrow your car
- Vehicles recovered: Covers cars marked as “salvaged” on the title, which are those with significant damage
- 24/7 Emergency Roadside Assistance: Covers things like towing, jump starts and lockout services through a partnership with Nation Safe Drivers
- Out-of-State Licenses: Provides insurance to drivers licensed outside of the state of California
Explorer may offer additional options in addition to those mentioned above. You will need to speak to a broker to find out more about coverage options in your area.
Costs and Discounts with Explorer Insurance Company
Getting a quote from Explorer Insurance Company is difficult, especially compared to other car insurance providers. Explorer does not provide quotes itself – clients should contact individual private brokers instead.
When we contacted Explorer, we were referred to a broker. After calling the broker, we were told that the company hadn’t sold Explorer insurance since 2015. It appears Explorer Insurance Company reps don’t know which agents and brokers sell Explorer policies, we don’t know. so we couldn’t get quotes for car insurance. .
With most auto insurance companies, your premium will be affected by many factors, including:
- Your driving record
- City you live in
- Vehicle make and model
- Civil status
- Credit score
Explorer Insurance Company claims to offer a variety of discounts but does not specify more. Although you must purchase Explorer car insurance through a broker, payments can be made directly to Explorer online, by phone, by mail or in person. The company also offers a recurring automatic payment service, but some customers have complained of difficulty canceling automatic payments after their policies end.
Explorer Insurance Claims Process
To report a claim to Explorer Insurance Company, you can call the claims service number: 877-849-4678. The complaints department is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Explorer does not have a mobile claims process, which has become an industry standard. In this regard, the car insurance provider is late.
Explorer Insurance Company Reviews
Parent company ICW Group is a national company that has achieved an AM Best rating of A- (Excellent). This means that Explorer Insurance Company should have no problem paying claims.
Explorer has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), although it is not accredited. It has no BBB customer reviews and only 15 Google reviews, all of which are one-star reviews. Customers complain about long complaint handling times and unpleasant customer service.
“I canceled my insurance years ago, I paid it all when I canceled. Now looking at my credit report, they put a $64 charge in collections from [five] years ago. It’s ridiculous! If I owed something more, why wouldn’t I receive an invoice? »
-Koda G. via Google
“Worst insurance company ever. I have to get the insurance commissioner involved every time I deal with these scammers. They move [at] at a snail’s pace, [and] it is claimed that people only seem to work part-time…”
On the positive side, according to the California Department of Insurance, the number of complaints against Explorer Insurance Company has declined overall over the past two years.
Our verdict on Explorer Insurance Company
From quotes to claims, everything seems to be harder than it should be with Explorer Insurance Company. The auto insurance provider lacks modernized processes and is plagued with poor customer reviews. While complaints have dwindled in recent years and the company is highly rated by the BBB, we’re not completely sold on Explorer.
Other Car Insurance Recommendations
If you are looking for car insurance in California, Explorer Insurance Company is not your only option. We recommend State Farm and Geico, two providers who also scored highly in our national review. It’s never a bad idea to compare quotes from multiple vendors, which is easy to do with our quote comparison tool. Follow the link below or call (844) 246-8209 to start.
The nation’s largest auto insurance company is our top choice for California drivers. From extensive coverage to great student discounts in particular, there’s a lot to love about State Farm.
We particularly appreciate the insurer’s safe driving programs. Drive Safe & Save™ can save you money by monitoring your safe driving habits, such as braking early and not accelerating too quickly. For young drivers there is Steer ClearⓇ. The Driver Safety Refresher course gives motorists under the age of 25 the opportunity to save on car insurance premiums.
Unlike Explorer Insurance Company, Geico has a proven track record of quality customer service, scoring 879 out of a possible 1,000 in JD Power℠’s 2019 Automotive Claims Satisfaction Study based on customer satisfaction. It also ranked first among major insurers in the JD Power 2020 US Insurance Shopping Study. The insurer is highly rated by the BBB and AM Best. With Geico, you can get coverage like roadside assistance and mechanical breakdown insurance, and the quote and claim processes are simple.
Read our review of the 10 most popular car insurance companies in California to learn more.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our team of experts collects data from dozens of car insurance providers to compile rankings of the best insurers. Companies receive a score in each of the following categories, along with an overall weighted score of 5.0 stars.
- Industry Ranking: Insurers with strong financial ratings and customer-focused business practices receive the highest scores in this category.
- Availablity: We consider availability by state as well as exclusions for specific groups of drivers.
- Blanket: This rating is based on the types of insurance available, maximum coverage limits and supplemental policies.
- Cost and discounts: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of drivers in every state. Companies with lower prices and many auto insurance discount opportunities receive the highest scores.
- Customer service: We scour customer reviews and consumer feedback studies from experts like JD Power.
- Technology: Auto insurers with mobile apps, advanced online services and telematics are more likely to meet consumer needs.
Read our other guides: