Insurance company

‘How unfair’: Disgruntled biker’s insurance company can’t help with claims after hit-and-run accident, Singapore News

Generally, the purpose of purchasing insurance is to protect against unforeseen situations.

However, motorist Julie Goh was left with a rather gross shock when she was involved in what she said was her first hit-and-run motorcycle accident on Wednesday June 29, but was unable to claim against the other motorist.

After going to her insurer NTUC Income to file a claim, Goh said she was shocked to learn she was unable to claim damages because the motorbike that hit her was a Malaysian registered vehicle.

The next day, an angry Goh uploaded a 27-second clip of the crash to the Facebook page.

In this video, the rear view camera fitted to Goh’s motorcycle managed to capture the incident of a Malaysian-registered motorcycle crashing into Goh’s bike, causing it to fall.

Goh said the impact of the crash shattered her motorcycle’s rear reflector and she fell, hitting her head on the ground.

She said the impact was so severe that her helmet visor shattered and flew off. She also said the rider left the scene after that.

She said the insurance company told her it was unable to claim against a vehicle registered in Malaysia, even though the accident occurred in Singapore.

“How unfair…I feel upset and angry,” she posted. It is not known where and when the accident took place.

According to insurance company MSIG, claims involving Malaysian motorists can be a lengthy process given the difference in protocols and the company has listed some steps to take if ever one is involved in such an accident.

In the event of a claim against foreign motorists, the General Insurance Association reminds road users to file a traffic police report within 24 hours of the accident.

Motorists are also advised to make a claim against their own policy if they have a comprehensive car insurance policy and they can also contact the GIA’s Malaysian counterpart, Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia, for assistance.

Contact the police

As a general rule, traffic accidents must be reported to the police if they involve fatalities, hit-and-runs and cyclists.

However, if the other party involved in the accident is not seriously injured, the motorist should try to exchange information with the other party, including their first and last names and contact details for insurers.

In the Facebook comments section of Goh’s post, many netizens encouraged her to contact the police.

“Compensation is one thing, hit and run is another, you should file a police report,” one Facebook user said.

Others have provided detailed instructions on where she can go from there.


While many Facebook users sided with Goh, others questioned why she braked before impact.

In his response, Goh said there was a three-car pile-up in the lane to his right and one of the drivers who was in the road “stepped back” into his lane.

She said she braked immediately and the Malaysian bike slammed into her.

AsiaOne contacted Goh and NTUC Income for more information.

In June 2014, motorist Edward Loh was sentenced to eight weeks in jail for failing to stop after an accident and rescue the injured.

ALSO READ: Car knocks down motorcyclist, escapes, then hits 2 other cars

[email protected]