Insurance coverage

Dialysis patients need better insurance coverage | Letters to the Editor

Editor-in-Chief: I have seen with my own eyes the difficulties that kidney patients face through the diagnoses of my daughter and my father. My daughter’s kidneys failed at the age of 23 and for over two decades I was her caregiver while she was in and out of hospital and on dialysis. It was not an easy task, but luckily she received a kidney transplant almost two years ago.

Kidney disease is not only hard on the body and makes it difficult to lead a normal life while dealing with doctor’s appointments, dialysis treatments, and medical procedures that come with the disease.

In addition to the sanitary battles, there is the question of coverage. Dialysis patients can get Medicare coverage for up to 80% of the costs, but if they’re under 65, they’re often responsible for the remaining 20%.