For over 100 years, First Chicago Insurance Company has provided auto insurance policies to drivers in the central United States. Founded in 1920 as Chicago Ice Producers Mutual Liability Company, the company transitioned from mutual governance to a stock corporation in 2006 and became a subsidiary of J&P Holdings, Inc. With a long history in the ice cream industry auto insurance, this company offers many products to meet the coverage needs of drivers.
First car insurance in Chicago
Primarily an automobile insurance provider, First Chicago Insurance Company offers policies for personal and commercial driving. The provider offers low rates and friendly service, both of which are bolstered by their wide range of available discounts.
Types of coverage
First Chicago Insurance Company offers the following personal auto insurance coverages:
- Liability coverage: With this coverage, drivers will have protection for bodily injury and property damage to others if they are involved in an accident.
- Medical payments: This cover pays for medical expenses incurred by the policyholder and all passengers as a result of a car accident. Cover also applies if you are injured by a vehicle as a pedestrian.
- Coverage for uninsured motorists: First Chicago Insurance Company currently offers three types of coverage for uninsured motorists. With uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage, customers are covered for injuries to themselves or their passengers if they are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver. Underinsured Motorists Personal Injury provides coverage for injuries if the other party does not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay for the damages they cause you. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage provides coverage for damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured driver.
- Collision coverage: This coverage option applies to damage to your vehicle caused by a collision with another car or object. Collision coverage is only available if the driver has also selected comprehensive coverage as part of their policy.
- Full coverage: This option provides coverage for non-collision losses, such as theft, flood, fire or natural disaster. Comprehensive coverage is sometimes referred to as “non-collision” coverage.
To help make policies more affordable for drivers, First Chicago Insurance Company offers the following discounts:
- Quote in advance: Existing policyholders who choose to receive a quote before their renewal date will receive a discount if they transfer their coverage to First Chicago Insurance Company.
- Anti-theft: Drivers who have installed qualifying anti-theft systems in their vehicles may be eligible for a discount.
- Defensive driver: Policyholders who have completed a qualifying defensive driving course may provide proof of successful completion of the course to receive a defensive driving discount.
- Driving record: Safe drivers (those who have not reported any accidents or traffic violations in the past five years) will be rewarded with a discount.
- Good student: High school and college students who consistently perform well in school can provide their report card for a good student discount on their policies.
- Owners: Although First Chicago Insurance Company does not offer home insurance, it does offer a discount to customers who hold home insurance policies elsewhere.
- Multi-Car: By insuring more than one vehicle through First Chicago Insurance Company, customers may receive a discount on their premium.
- Fully Paid: If you choose to pay in full for your policy, you may pay less than if you paid your premium monthly.
- Renewal: Simply by being a loyal customer and renewing your policy at the end of your coverage period, First Chicago Insurance Company will apply a discount.
- Prior insurance: Drivers who have had previous insurance coverage may receive a discount based on the length of their coverage from the previous provider and whether they have met the basic requirements for coverage in their state.
Reasons why First Chicago is a good option
Drivers living in Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin and Texas are eligible for coverage through First Chicago Insurance Company. With over 100 years of industry experience, this provider is a reliable source of coverage, offering basic and robust coverage solutions to drivers.
Since First Chicago Insurance Company only covers specific states, drivers living outside of their service area are not eligible for coverage. Additionally, despite a long history in the insurance industry, First Chicago Insurance Company holds a below-average financial strength rating from AM Best. A lower financial strength rating could indicate that the business may be more vulnerable to financial difficulties, which could impact its ability to cover customer claims.
First Chicago Ratings, Reviews, Customer Satisfaction and Complaints
First Chicago Insurance Company has a financial strength rating below AM Best’s average, currently set at B- (fair). While this is an improvement over their previous (marginal) C++ rating from previous years, it is below what is considered ideal for an insurer.
Despite over 100 years of service, First Chicago Insurance Company does not currently hold a JD Power customer satisfaction rating. However, the company is accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and has an A+ rating.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) maintains customer service ratings with 1.0 representing a baseline. A score above 1.0 indicates an above-average number of complaints, while a number below 1.0 indicates a below-average number of complaints. The Company Complaints Index for First Chicago Insurance Company is 4.82.
|Better Business Bureau||A+|
Additional policies offered by First Chicago
- Commercial auto insurance
- General liability insurance
- Health insurance
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to get a quote from First Chicago?
Those seeking coverage through First Chicago Insurance Company can request a free quote by completing the online quote tool or by calling 1-888-262-8864. When requesting a quote online, customers will be required to provide their postcode, first name, age, gender, marital status, previous offense and accident information, and vehicle information.
How do I file a claim with First Chicago?
First Chicago Insurance Company provides a 24-hour Direct Claims Service Line where customers can submit a claim. The helpline number is 1-888-262-8864. Alternatively, customers can submit an auto accident form online.